The running Fields

The running Fields
Escaped Horses (Chris Tancock)

Thursday 30 June 2011

Floppy left foot. :-S

I took the dog up the field this morning as I haven't been there for a few days.  The grass and bracken is so tall that the path is practically obliterated, hence my not going as it makes running slightly tricky. Found my hidden corner where I practice Qi Gong which I also haven't done for a while what with running and so on. Dog had a good jump about in the tall grass (she's a Springer) and sniffed about patiently waiting for me so thought I'd carry on into the next field afterwards but because I had to be back in time to take the teen to a hospital appointment thought I'd do it in a run - so I did - in my split Joules dog wellies. (I had to wear wellies even though it was hot to protect me from the nettles and brambles - or 'random shizzle' as my teen would say.) I don't know how far it was so didn't log it. I've come to dislike logging distances and especially timing during June.


Got back in time to have a coffee and watch other half open some birthday presents from us -  numerous pots for planting to add to the ones we already have on the go. So far we have parsley, rocket, perpetual spinach,  six tomato plants of various types, Nero Kale (delicious), radishes, a few strawberry plants, basil for indoors and more to come for the new pots. It's great to be growing our own again as we have been too busy with work for the last few years to garden any veg. but having pots makes it more manageable.


We got back quite late from the hospital and so had lunch about 3. 30 which is fairly common and by the time I'd digested and hung out a wash and done the breakfast and lunch pots it was getting on for 5.10 pm. Yikes! I'd been hoping for a nice long leisurely run to round off Juneathon but as I had to be back for 6.00 pm to take the Tai Chi class at 6.15 it would have to be a quick one so I thought up a new route along the road and down a lane and over fields. Everything was going great until after about 3 miles in, as I joined the road, I could feel my left foot not responding properly. It was flopping and dragging and when I slowed down it seemed worse but while running I was in danger of tripping up. I carried on until I came to the very steep hill which I would have walked anyway and tried desperately to control it but to no avail. I tried leading with the left leg and telling my brain to consciously move the foot how I wanted but nothing seemed to work. All quite worrying. It must be like this for someone who has had a stroke, I thought. To make it worse a car came past and I quickly stood still in the side of the road so I didn't look stupid. In fact every time the odd car came past I had to wait. Well, thank god it's the last day of Juneathon went through my mind.


I got home a bit later than I had anticipated and couldn't really take the class very well as in the eight step form I was teaching you extend each leg at one point while balancing on the other one but it just wasn't do-able after the run so I had to modify that move myself which I tell the older members they can do if necessary.


So, there we are. The end of Juneathon. I've had some chips and a glass of wine. I've blogged every day. I've logged every day and I've done some exercise every day. I've stretched myself (in terms of fitting everything in and in pushing myself). I've commented on other blogs and on Running Free although not as much as I would have liked but I may have a little read over the next few days at my leisure.


I've loved it and I've been annoyed by it but most of all I did what I set out to do. :)) So for me that's my first 'athon' completed and with the injury to show for it.


Three cheers to all you lovely people out there who have been pushing yourselves at the same time as me, I'm pretty sure that I may have just said, "Oh not today"  if it wasn't for all of you and I appreciated those who left me comments.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on completing you first 'athon' and doing so well - here's to many more!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen - and to you too :-)
    I only just managed it. A damaged tendon in my knee and no internet connection ALL weekend. I was SOOOO lucky (phew)!!!

    ReplyDelete