The running Fields

The running Fields
Escaped Horses (Chris Tancock)

Sunday 12 June 2011

soft, grey, wet Wales.

The rains have come to Wales and after waiting for the heaviest downpour to pass, went for a short walk with the Springer and teen rigged out in wellies, waterproofs and umbrellas. Everything below waist line was drenched on our return.


I shan't be able to complete Juneathon until later on this afternoon so will post more later. Whilst waiting (anticipating to be more precise) I did a fair amount of domestic stuff and baked a scrumptious apple pie with last autumn's apples from the freezer. Only my second or third attempt at pastry (well I do live with an ex-chef) and it passed muster although I requested detailed instructions.


So on with the nitty gritty as it's already gone midnight - I went for another cycle ride on the back roads and wasn't entirely sure of my route but I love exploring. One of those lovely soft and secret misty, wet evenings. The slugs were migrating across the roads in 'hundreds' and lots of fledglings were crossing in front of the bike but I expect they hadn't seen one before to know what to do. 


On the return journey I met with head on strong winds which really slowed me up - especially on the steep hills. The thought of hot dinner followed by apple pie didn't even help me to speed up against the winds. I've got a hand me down road bike now but was dreaming of my lovely Dawes tourer which has been sadly rusting for a few years now and tried to adapt against the wind by leaning down onto the handle bars but it wasn't quite the same.


The GPS and map gave a different mileage again but I logged the GPS time of 9.5 miles although I preferred the sound of 11 plus miles from the map. It certainly felt longer with the strong winds impeding my progress.


If I was a serious blogger I would have posted a tempting photograph of my pie aesthetically displayed on trendy plates and a picture of the misty roads with my bike - instead you will have to conjure up your own image, as with a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment