The running Fields

The running Fields
Escaped Horses (Chris Tancock)

Sunday 5 June 2011

Running through the sea

Unlike yesterday's evening run, I set off at 'high noon today', 1.00 pm to be precise. The GPS and ipod were all set and ready to go so inevitably I met a neighbour 5 minutes in and started chatting. My actual start time was moved ahead to 1.30 pm.


The dog came because I left her behind last night so I could do the road route and my intention was to give her a nice long time outside. Off we headed up the very steep hills and sadly I can't say how many feet above sea level it was because I didn't want to stop and calculate it on the GPS and then write it down in case I forgot but I know it's steep and that's all that  matters.


I shimmied down the cliff track onto the beach as the tide was out enough to do a beach run and took my trainers off to run barefoot. (Some nice people kept an eye on my shoes so I didn't have to run with them banging about round my neck). I haven't tried this since I was a kid and obviously it isn't suitable for road or track running but it was so exhilarating I can't think why I haven't done it before. I'm sure I ran faster and more efficiently and was even motivated to do a couple of sprints which judging by yesterday's run with Audio Fuel's "Adrenaline Junky" may have been at 190 bpm at least 180 bpm.


The best bit was running through the sea which kept my feet nice and cool - in fact the whole thing was a treat for my feet. I had to time out a bit to use the loos by the cafe and get the dog some water and spend 10 minutes trying to pick a foreign object out of my foot (still there I think) then off home we headed. 


I was slower on the return journey and conscious of my hips aching a bit but it was a very good run session and the dog got at least 2 hours outside all in all. I think I'd go as far as to say I'm feeling quite pleased with myself but at the same time want to keep myself in check as it's still only day 5.


Now I am heading back to the beach - but in the car - with young person to buy a big ice-cream, possibly with flake as a treat for completing practice GCSE paper. Will I have one as well? Yes, I think I might!

2 comments:

  1. MMMMMMM ice cream with flake...I can almost taste it. Well done on your fab run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barefoot running on sand and in the sea sounds idyllic.
    Persuading young perons to do anything deserves at least an icecream and a flake!

    ReplyDelete